Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Blog-a-Day Challenge

This will come off as a lame post (I preface a lot of my writing with cautionary messages, as if I don't want people to read it), but I think it's time I actually challenged myself and tried to be vaguely productive.

People familiar with me know that I generally prefer not talking to people or adventuring particularly far from my comfort zone. I don't leave the house unless it's absolutely necessary or I'm forced to, and rarely strike up conversations with people. I usually look detached from the world around me. I have a feeling a lot of people perceived me as being weird or antisocial (I always preferred the term "reclusive", since it has more of a genius, Howard Hughes-esque quality to it).

All this is why I've always liked expressing myself through writing. My lifelong dream for the last year or so has been to operate a blog and improve my writing (a fairly pathetic lifelong dream really, I guess president of the United States and astronaut were too unattainable) -- unfortunately I'm incredibly lazy even about things I enjoy doing, so I'd always write one entry and put it off. Often I'd get stuck trying to think of a clever enough name for the blog -- something eye popping and clever that would rake in the readers and make me an internet phenomenon. Ferrets on a tractor was a personal favorite after the short lived Snakes on a Plane sensation.

So, two days ago I joined the rampant internet cocaine binge that is Facebook, and I am already hooked. I feel like Tony Montana from Scarface, constantly in a search for more Facebook power. There is a huge pile of Facebook on my table and I want to stick my nose in it. Even while sporting a tiny list of friends and having a sadly blank wall that doesn't include a picture of me, I can already feel its tempting powers wrapping around my torso like tentacles.

Joining Facebook seems to have sparked something in me. I'm not sure if it's healthy yet, but I've had a sudden proactive urge to do stuff. So with this in mind, I've decided to make my former blog fantasy a reality. I will attempt to write an entry every day for as long as possible, until I either feel like I've accomplished enough or collapse and die from exhaustion. Each entry will be conveniently linked on my facebook wall for your personal enjoyment.

My expectations are rather low -- I don't actually expect people to read this crap. I'm pretty much doing this for myself as a personal challenge, and just to have fun with it. If I accomplish that, it will be a victory for me.

Anyways, I just realized I wrote a really long blog entry about me writing a blog. That's kind of pathetic. But I guess I have to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment